For November I am going to be giving away a surprise necklace from my shop! There are several ways to enter:
1. Follow my blog
2. Become a my fan on facebook www.facebook.com/madebymalcakes
3. Make a comment to my blog post titled "Boom Boom Pow"
4. Post my etsy shop link on your facebook or Twitter page www.malcakes25.etsy.com
5. Refer a friend
You will receive one entry per task done! Please send me a message via my email which is email@example.com with the link to show that you have reposted it, to tell me what friend you referred and/or however else you have entered :) Please don't forget to leave me your email in someway so I can get in touch with you! Winner will be randomly selected and announced on Tuesday November 30th! Best of luck!
Friday, October 29, 2010
This is for you, who is "you" you ask? Well its simply the person reading this at this very absolute moment. Don't believe me, then pick up a mirror and it will tell you the answer.
Life is meant to be lived. Live your life, don't worry about who is watching or what others may think. Dream it, create it. If you love it do it, if not-its simply not worth your time. Don't let others hold you back, ignore the naysayers. Aspire to amazing heights, don't be scared. You have wings, fly the distance. Love the simple things, enjoy nature. Love animals, believe it can happen. Take deep breaths, it was meant to be. If you don't like it change it. Bask in the sunlight, enjoy the rain. Walk in the moonlight, gaze at the stars. You are a star, don't let anybody tell you any different. Laugh, smile, cry when you want, don't hold back. It is what it is, so just let it go. Follow your heart, it will never disappoint you. The past is the past, the future is now. You are loved, I heart you-don't believe me-ask me then. Never have doubts, there are no mistakes. Never say never. Why walk when you can fly. I believe you can do it, I'm here for you, so are they. Cherish the day, seize the night. Go for it. You are amazing! The easy path isn't always exciting. Take an adventure, I will meet you there.
The lovely picture that I have featured is availble for purchase from a fellow etsy artist! Just check out the link below :)
Thursday, September 16, 2010
Its time for me to make a pledge, and my doing so I hope to encourage others to join my movement. This Christmas I am going to support artists and small businesses by purchasing most of my gifts from them. I want to support others by in the community by bringing business to their shops, store fronts, and websites. Its important to me because not only am I an artist, but I also consign many of my items to boutiques. I have definitely noticed a decrease in the amount of items I have sold, and the amount of business these little shops are receiving. Please join this movement, pledge to buy handmade or from small business owners this season. Comment to this post on why its important to you to make this pledge.
Monday, September 6, 2010
I thought I would deviate from anything to do with art and fill you in on 10 little tidbits about me. (not to be mistaken for being self-centered, haha) I simply would like to fill in my followers about a few little known facts...Enjoy
1. I am very much in love with antique photos, I own a bunch. I recently bought 5 and lined them along this little shelf I have in my studio. Later that day I took them down because I felt like they were watching me...(I'm weird, I know it) And, yes I will continue to buy them as I come across ones that suit my fancy.
2. I'm fascinated with the chupacabra, big foot, ghosts, yetis and so on....Why, I have no idea...and to answer your question, I believe in them all....
3. I love buying antique things (in relation to fact #2, I have this fear that someday one of the things I buy will be haunted. This always crosses my mind before a purchase.)
4. I love Disney
5. I believe that the 50's were the classiest era
6. I love pin-up
7. I begged my husband to buy me a metal detector for Christmas. I always bring it with me to the desert when I go camping. (You laugh now, but I WILL find treasure muahaha) Its the gift that pays for itself.
8. When my husband and I ride our dirt bikes he gets annoyed that I have and stop to to investigate everything for unfound treasures... i.e. gems, gold, relics, fossils, petrified wood and bones. I once found a huge spine in the desert that I brought home; it now sits in my moms planter, haha. I also thought I found turquoise once and made him stuff these rocks in his motorcylce boots till we got back from our ride, it was only copper *tear*.
9. My favorite movie is Braveheart, and I love Mel Gibson (Yup, I said it)
10. This fact is already well known but, I believe that everyone should follow there dreams, live life with to regrets and speak the truth.
*Finding a petroglyph site that is thousands of years old in the desert*
(This counts in my treasure category)
Tuesday, August 31, 2010
I am making it my new goal to try to clean up my work area after I am done for the day. I pledge to clean it everyday no ifs, ands, or buts about it. (okay who am I kidding, this is sooo not going to happen) Don't even lie, you are the same way I am. I know your making all these false promises to your self about cleaning out your scrap drawer, you know its not gonna happen haha! Maybe I will just try to pick up like a bead or a sheet of antique music paper when I'm done, that sounds pretty reasonable. I think I need more pictures, this one is kinda crummy. Oh in case you were wondering, everyone NEEDS a drooling bunny in their studio. Its essential.
Thursday, August 26, 2010
Has anyone ever told you that what you are dreaming is basically a waste? I'm here to tell you that they can shove it ( I love that line, "shove it")! Long live dreamers! Always follow your heart and in the end you wont be disappointed, if it didn't work out then you will be happy that your tried your best. I'm for real! One day I will own the people and places that ever doubted me along my journey, muahahaha, take that! You will own them too! (I hope I don't sound like I'm the crazy author of some self-help book) Anyways, let me step off my pedestal now haha. Basically, in a nut shell, just go for it.
"Really great people make you feel that you, too, can become great."
"Really great people make you feel that you, too, can become great."
Monday, July 26, 2010
Why is it that most antique places have no AC!?! I'm baffled...its the majority of them. Its like a brazillion degrees outside and I'm on a third floor losing 5 pounds in sweat and getting ready to pass out from heat exhaustion. This past Saturday was one of those days, but this time I dragged my husband Matt along with me to suffer as well (I have to take someone else down with me). Anyways, that morning I decided to wear this fab lip gloss, (this is where my oddness comes into play) and they have all these HUGE fans blowing everywhere to keep it cool in these places. Well in my awesome mind I get this idea that these fans are kicking up all kinds of ancient dust and what-not, which is then sticking to my glossy lips. I then became grossed out at the thought. Upon leaving I then proceeded to wipe my lip gloss off on the inside of my husbands shirt sleeve so that I would be able to even go in the next place. I could not be deterred from finding my treasures! (What?? his shirt was black! You would have done the same) Anyways, on a final note...Matt is pretty rad for putting up with me and my antics....I will keep you posted on any further happenings.
Monday, July 19, 2010
I love hunting for unique vintage treasures. There is something to be said about taking something old and turning it into something new. Dreaming up a new piece of art using long forgotten photos, paper and trinkets is such a fantastic thing. It is such a thrill to be hunting at a flea market or a antique shop and finding the perfect piece to create art with. To use the past in the present, what more could one want!
"Consider the past and you shall know the future"-Chinese Proverb